Theia Effectively Removes BOD
A pet food manufacturer with a plant in northeastern Pennsylvania needed to make improvements to their wastewater lagoon. Although their DAF system was effectively removing the majority of their BOD, their existing surface aeration system was not able to produce sufficient dissolved oxygen. In addition, this system was a large energy drain on the plant
The wastewater operator and facility engineer contacted Theia to discuss utilizing the Oxygenator system to replace their old inefficient system.
- Wastewater Lagoon volume: 4.2 million gallons
- Length: 530 feet
- Width: 170 feet.
- Daily flow of wastewater: 400,000 – 450,000 gallons per day.
- BOD: 80 mg/l
- Minimum DO level, 2 mg/l.
Solution: Theia provided four(4) Oxygenator Nozzles to handle the requirements for the lagoon. The customer had a limited budget for the project. Theia provided the nozzles as well as design assistance which allowed them to purchase the pumps directly from their pump vendor.
These four systems are now providing more than sufficient aeration for the lagoon as well as consistent and thorough mixing of the lagoon. The four(4) aeration systems are using under 100 horsepower. These four(4) Oxygenator systems replaced twenty(20) 20 HP surface aerators that had been operating prior to the installation.
Additional advantages of the Oxygenator System:
- Reduced maintenance – the Oxygenator systems utilizes a standard wastewater pump and the Oxygenator Nozzle. The nozzle itself requires no real maintenance and the wastewater pump which requires minimal maintenance which is simple and can be handled in house.
- Easy access: The Oxygenator System places nothing in the lagoon other than piping. Thus, the system itself is easily accessible for the staff.
- Less time and effort for maintenance
- Increased safety for the staff
- Better control of the wastewater. The increased mixing capability that the Oxygenator offers allows the customer to control how and where they aerate as well as what they do or do not want to mix.